Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) ELEMENTARY

What if my student's Progress Report grades all appear to be incorrect?

Please verify you are viewing the correct Trimester. At the top of the Report Cards page, select the correct reporting period choice from the "View the Report Card for Reporting Period" dropdown.

What if I have trouble logging into Home Access Center?

Please contact your child’s school – use the link below for school phone numbers. 

To whom should I report incorrect information?

  • For content concerning Attendance or Report Cards, please contact your child's school.
  • For Registration content, please contact District Office Central Registration at 215.723.6061 between the hours of 8:00a.m. and 4:00p.m.

You may be required to schedule an appointment to resolve the concern. Please bring a form of identification with you to the appointment.

Why can't I change any information myself?

Home Access Center is a read-only snapshot of the student information system. The information presented is not changeable using Home Access Center.

What if I don't have Internet access at home?

Home Access Center is accessible using any computer connected to the Internet.